Why am I not able to make calls?
There could be a number of reasons why you may not be able to make calls.
If you are a Pay As You Go customer - you may need to top up. After 150 days numbers that haven’t been topped up won’t be able to make any outgoing services (such as calls, texts, or using data). The number will still be able to receive calls and texts for a further 30 days. After this time you’ll need to top up to reinstate your service. Before doing so it’s best to contact us, in order to check the current status of your number. It’s possible your number may have been terminated if the last Top Up was 13 months ago.
If you are a Bill Pay customer, please make sure your account is up to date. If your account is overdue you may be barred for non-payment. You will receive notification of this in advance.
Here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Try switching your phone off and on again – this may fix the issue. If not, take the battery out of your phone while it’s still switched on. Where this isn’t possible (e.g. iPhones), put your phone into airplane mode for at least 30 seconds, then switch it back to general. This will perform what’s known as a ‘location update’ – giving a fresh connection to the network.
- Check what ‘Mode’ your phone is in - some phones have what’s called an ‘airplane’ mode which restricts any network activity on the phone. You may have accidentally set your phone to this mode.
- Is it more than one number that you can’t call? If it is just one number, the issue is probably with the other person’s phone.
- Check you are set up for the service you’re calling - you may have a bar on your account preventing you from calling a premium rate number, or for making an international call. See the help and support topics for these services for specific help and support.
- Pop your SIM into another Meteor phone – if the issue continues it sounds like your SIM card may have died. Call into any store with photo ID to get a replacement sim with your existing mobile number on it. If your SIM works in another Meteor phone it would appear that the problem is with your phone. See Meteor’s Returns and Repairs policy or please refer to the returns and repairs policy of the phone provider you purchased the phone from.
If the above troubleshooting steps don’t your issue please take three recent examples and contact us. If possible – note the error message you’re getting, the time, date and number.